11.02.2012

My Jersey Shore




This is a long post.  After hearing too many jokes and misunderstandings in reference to the destruction of the New Jersey coastline, I needed to put my thoughts and memories somewhere.  Everyone has their own experience with the Jersey Shore.  I hope you enjoy reading about mine.

Lathering up! LBI 2008
----------------------

The minute I landed in California, I realized the country's idea of what the Jersey Shore is was not what I grew up with.  For some reason, people seemed to think it included the gym, tanning and laundry.  What I knew was 217 miles of wide beaches, beautiful homes, docked boats, ice cream shops and great seafood.  

The wreckage Superstorm Sandy brought to my beloved beach is unimaginable.  On the news, I see my roller coasters out to sea, and my boardwalks in piles.  The famously wide Wildwood beach has water up to the streets, and in some places LBI is completely covered.  However, I'm quickly realizing not a lot of people around the country realize what's at loss here.  It's not just bronzer under that water.  There are memories generations back of families lounging in the sun, friends sharing a beach rental, and romances on the piers.  

From day trips to weeks long vacations, I spent a good chunk of my childhood jumping in waves when the sun was up and playing mini golf when the sun went down.  I wasn't devoted to just one shore town, either.  I have amazing memories in Wildwood Crest, Lavalette, Cape May, Point Pleasant, Belmar, Spring Lake, Ocean City, and the list goes on.  

My first memories of the shore are in Wildwood Crest.  Starting when I was still a little bean, my mom and dad stayed at the Bal Harbour hotel.  It became a tradition to stay there every year.  As I got older and busier, the stays got shorter, but I went to the Bal Harbour with my dad and brother all way into my college years.  I loved it there.  It's tall beachfront towers stuck out from afar.  With an arcade, two kiddie pools, a medium pool, and a figure eight shaped big pool, my brother and I felt like we were in paradise.  Over the years, we became friends with George in the kitchen, the guy in the gift shop, the Frost's, who became like family.  Heather and I met when we were 2 in the kiddie pool and grew up as Bal Harbour buddies, each summer making our parents plan coordinating vacations.  My family's Wildwood Crest vacations came with a slew of traditions, like walking to the Captain's Table and a movie night with takeout fried fish.  The boardwalk nights were filled with zeppoles, rides, hair braids, rice necklaces, caricatures, and games.  Days were spent parking it at the beach from morning to dinnertime, making trips back up to the pool to wash off the sand, and back to the beach again.  That is, on days my brother didn't want to play Nintendo all day in the room.  I remember setting off fireworks at night, feeding seagulls stale french fries, and flying kites. We'd always go to Victorian Cape May and take pictures in the same spots, year after year.  We loved our traditions.

I also spent a lot of time in Lavalette, where my Mom grew up going with her family.  It was at the Candlelight Inn my step-dad proposed to her with all of us munching on shrimp cocktail, and where we spent many long weekends.  Lavalette has this great ice cream shop where the waiters sing to you - I loved that!  My Grandpa owned a home down the shore until he passed when I was 10.  It was on Long Beach Island (LBI to most), which is a long island strip of quiet and quaint beach towns.  One day, after a long day in the sun, I bit into a juicy peach while sitting in my Grandpa's back seat, and out came my first tooth!  I can think of countless day trips with my family to towns like Spring Lake with it's beautiful homes, and to Point Pleasant and Seaside Heights for the games and the rides at night.

As I got older, I was less worried about the epic log flume drop and more concerned with packing all my friends into a beach house.  I started making new traditions and memories with friends, and okay - maybe I pumped the occasional fist in Belmar.  But that's what the shore is to me.  It's a place where I can go and be flooded with memories of my childhood, my family and my friends. I'm grateful for parents who gave me so many beachside memories. When I think of the Jersey Shore, I think of my dad telling me the story of Treasure Island on the sky coaster.  I think of saving up my arcade winnings to buy an awesome Queen Amidala collector's figure.  I think of early morning bike rides on the boardwalk.  I think of Monday mornings looking at fresh sea creatures with Mr. Ocean.  I think of Kohr's orange & vanilla frozen custard.  I think of picking out a beach read from the Atlantic Book shop.  I think of yearly retreats with my high school.  I don't think of fist pumping.  The Jersey Shore is a place that I know is strong enough to withstand this storm.  Soon, the water will subside, the businesses will recover, and maybe the rest of the country can come see for themselves what us New Jerseyans have known all along.

------

Here are some pictures of Jersey Shore good times from senior year in high school and onward.  All my pre-Facebook pictures are at home, but maybe I'll add some one day!


Best Friends! 2009
En route to ATLANTIC CITY! 2010


Fourth of July in Belmar, 2010

Kelly's birthday in Belmar, 2010


My cousin Jenna, 4th of July  Point Pleasant 2010


Me and my sister Jessica, on a fast ride in Point Pleasant, 2010

Prom Weekend! Point Pleasant, 2006
On an annual Onstage beach trip - the water was flagged for too high currents!  We are clearly disappointed with this unfortunate weather.  Loved those trips with my theater group.

On the Centrifuge in Seaside Heights!  The ride is currently under water :(


Lazy beach day, 2007

My dad and I in Wildwood, 2007

Haha, Vinnie - near Red Bank, NJ 2007

 Just some friends dancing, haha - 2007?
I really do love Kohr's Orange & Vanilla custard - Seaside Heights 2008
The famous Bar A shot wheel in Belmar! 2010

Best Friends - 2006, prom weekend I think?
Paddle boatin' with Alyssa at her house in LBI, 2008





5 comments:

  1. ah......traditions great article Dee!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to all of the facebook commenters! This post is really special to my heart. It was especially nice to hear from my aunt about her trip last year with my mom to find their childhood rentals, and how my cousin carries on family traditions with his kids. The Shore is in a league of its own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to miss the shore, it will never be the same as it was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some moments that stick with you. Watching on television the destruction of the shore with Dad was one of them. We just watched on speechless as we saw Ferris wheels underwater, and the actual boardwalk ripped apart. Sandy was definitely real before that, but those images made the clear the absolute destructive power of the hurricane. But memories run strong, Jersey strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And re-reading this after an initial quick scan... "the guy in the gift shop." Ha, we never did catch his name, did we? Doesn't cheapen the memories one bit.

      Delete