11.27.2012

Giving Thanks in 2012


I hadn't been home for Thanksgiving in three years, so this year's Turkey Day was even more special!  There is something so dee-lovely about stuffing your face with family and being grateful for that warm fuzzy feeling in the air.  Thanksgiving is the best - no frills, just getting together and enjoying great food.

Aside from the week of friend and family time at the movies, diners, bars, homes, etc. etc. - the day itself was so fun!

For Webb and I, this Thanksgiving was our second as a couple, and this time with my family.  I'm so grateful we've been able to spend both together!  In the morning, I worked away in the kitchen with mom & sister while the parade played in the background - perfect.  My step-dad barely got back from his Turkey Trot when he had to head back out to get my brother and his girlfriend from the train station.  When he came back, Webb and Anthony met for the first time - finally!  Their conversations had to do with political riots in Europe or something… typical.
Above: Siblings reunited!  Below: 2 important dudes in my life meet :)

We hung out for a bit then it was off to get my Dad and go to dinner at my Uncle Stevie & Aunt Donna's.  I love their house - it's been in my family since the 20's.  My godfather was quick to give Webb the history of the house, and I thought about all the holidays we've celebrated there.  Looking at their CD collection, you'd know it by the dozens of Christmas albums!  Of course, we were listening to Christmas radio… obviously :)  Light FM anyone?  

After eating so. much. food, my cousin and her two cute kids came by.  Rather, I should say the kids ran into the house like two kids on a dessert sugar high (because they were, um, two kids on a dessert sugar high) and infused our afternoon with little kid energy!  Mikey had changed so much since the last time I saw him one year ago - I couldn't believe he was speaking in sentences!  I wish I was home more to see him grow.  Miraculously, we were able to get everyone to settle down for this wonderful group photo:

My Dad and his brother with (most of ) their families 

My dad and uncle's three sisters were elsewhere for Thanksgiving, but just a couple weeks before they were able to all get together despite now living in four different states.  My aunt and uncle's son Jason and his wife & kids were spending the holidays in Disney World - lucky!  Missed them and everyone else though!

After dinner, Anthony and I took our beaus back to Mom's house for more dessert with my mom's sister Peggy, our uncle Christy, cousin Jonathan, his wife Shelly, and their adorable energetic daughter Mackenzie.  

Kenzie is so excited to dig into those cupcakes (and all the other desserts!)

We ended the night with a lot of wine and board games.  First it was some sort of drawing game, then my specialty - Clue!  Webb has been hearing a lot about my excellent Clue skills, so we played a much-anticipated match with the whole family.  Upsettingly, I did NOT win - at least I lost to Dan, who taught me everything I know about Miss Scarlett and the gang.  I can deal with that.



We're very serious about our gaming  Please excuse the tissues in the foreground as I was battling a nasty cold wah :(






I'm so blessed with so much family!  All in all it was a packed day of food and family.  Plus, the week itself was nonstop friend and family time catching up and kicking back.  I love Thanksgiving, and I'm so grateful!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. haha, thanks! i'm glad you could be there :) and you know i love a good collage

      Delete
  2. Dee, it sounds like you had so much fun! That's so awesome that you got to spend so much quality time back east. I'm looking forward to getting together in SF soon! And, by the way, you look just like your adorable mother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thank you! she is adorable. and yes to an SF get together soon! can't wait to hear all about your visit to NYC :)

      Delete
  3. I feel the same way!! it was fun and full of warm fuzzy feelings!! :)

    ReplyDelete