8.23.2013

"'Cause Down the Shore Everything's Alright"


`cause down the shore everything's all right

You and your baby on a saturday night
nothing matters in this whole wide world
when you're in love with a jersey girl
Oh, Bruce! That song just gets me every time.  If you know me, you know I love New Jersey.  The fact that I hadn't been in the summer in 3 years was a true travesty.  You see, home in North Jersey during the fall, winter and spring is also wonderful, but there is something oh-so-special about the Jersey Shore at summer time.  I wrote about it here right after Sandy, and here when Webb and I went to Cape May, so feel free to read about my what the Shore means to me.  

So, to solve such a conundrum, I went ahead and bought a ticket to go home for a long weekend with no agenda at all! I am so glad I did.  It was just what the doctor ordered.

In Summary: Jersey is STRONG! Even though I'm from North Jersey, I have a total love affair with the shore and I was nervous to see what it looked like post-Sandy.  There were definitely some remnants of destruction, and people still need help and donations, but "Restore the Shore" is well underway and the energy is so positive.  My friends and family are all wonderful and now I know I need to do this every summer because let's be honest, there's just nothing like being with those who've known you forever.  

Pics and stories below!

Friday morning, I landed at 6AM and my wonderful dad met me at the airport we started the day with Dunkin Donuts!  They seriously need to expand to California. Then, we had breakfast at our usual spot in Ridgewood in their recently added outdoor section.
Later that day, my Mom, sister and I laid out by Crestwood Lake, this great little lake 5 minutes from my house.  Obvi, I needed a base tan for the Shore.  
That night I got to see my cousins Jon and his wife Shelly and their adorable and sassy daughter Mackenzie.  The restaurant was Bahama Breeze, and let me tell you - this is new the new hot spot in Bergen County. Everyone got really excited when I mentioned that where we were going. My mom planned the whole thing, and even surprised me with my FAVORITE cake (cannoli!) to celebrate my "half-birthday" - hey, I guess when you're only home a couple time a year you've got to find something to eat cake for! I loved it. 

Dinner with some family
After dinner, I met up with my main dude at home Vinnie :)


Saturday morning, my best friend Alyssa and I grabbed bagels (yes!) and hit the road for the 90 minute drive to the adorable town Ocean Grove.  We met our friend Kelly and laid out in the sun, catching up about everything.  After some lunch at the popular Nagle's, we skipped a couple towns over to Belmar where we were going to stay the night.  Coincidentally, I ran into my cousin! What a small world.  We all did happy hour at D'jais, a bar on the beach that my mother remembers going to.  I've been a couple times, but I did NOT remember how, um "Jersey" it is.  Definitely entertaining for my newly-California self :)  Then we all hung out at my cousin's place before dancing the night away at another spot.  It def brought me back to some crazy shore nights of yesteryear :)
Me and some great girls in Ocean Grove
Sad to see Sandy's destruction in some areas 
Partying with the winners of the Jersey Shore cast lookalike contest
Sunday, I said bye to my friends and went to Point Pleasant with my family and our family friends the Freeney's. We did the usual lunch and beach bummin'.  Sadly it was a little overcast, but that didn't stop most of our group from swimming and playing volleyball.  For dinner, I found a SUPER fresh little seafood market so we got a bunch of seafood and pizza.  Perfect.  That night we hit the boardwalk with the kids who seriously attempted to ride every single ride.
Some of the best seafood
I love my Kohr's!
Monday we were down the shore til midday then headed back up. We tried to ride bikes on the boardwalk, but the Point Pleasant bike shops were closed up from Sandy :( That evening I met up with one of my longest friends, Kristen, and we caught up over her delicious Italian food and the newest ep of Breaking Bad.
Tuesday I felt like mini-mom as I shuffled everyone around and grabbed lunch with one of my besties, Vinnie, near his new office at our old stomping ground, Kinchley's! 

My mom, dad and sister drove me to the airport then I was back on my way to Cal-i-forn-I-A.


This Jersey Girl will be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment