8.27.2013

Just Because

Birthdays, anniversaries, new jobs - these all warrant grand celebrations and surprises.  And you know I love a great party.  

With all the reasons to celebrate during the year, you would think the in-between weekends get written off.  Don't get me wrong - I truly appreciate a weekend that has a good ratio of productive:lazy.

But this past weekend, Webb planned a secret day for fun just because.

Isn't that lovely?

I challenge all of you to think of opportunities to make regular days/weekends/moments special, because it's often the spontaneous "just because" moments in life that are the best!

When I came back from my solo trip to New Jersey, Webb asked me if I had any plans on Sunday.  I told him not any that I could think of.  He replied, "Good.  Block out the whole day".  And that was all I knew!

He even went so far as blindfolding me in the car and silencing the GPS.  My mind wandered - where had I mentioned I wanted to visit? I couldn't remember anything specific.  Admittedly being the planner of our relationship, it was weird to be the one without the itinerary in hand.  

When we arrived at our destination, he told me to take off the blindfold.  I still had no idea where we were.

"The racetrack!" Webb told me.


The total randomness of it all is just quintessential Webb.  I don't think the racetrack ever came up in a conversation, it wasn't really romantic, and yet he knew we'd have the best time because for whatever reason, we have a blast doing anything outside of our usual routine.  People watching, cheering on the horses, and dancing to the cover band made for a great Sunday.  I think what made it even more fun was the fact that it was a surprise and totally out of blue.

It was a perfect day.

I'm inspired to plan one of these secret adventure days!  Stay tuned, Webb...

What will you do out of your usual routine?  Celebrate "everyday days" just because.

You may find yourself yearning for a Derby hat while yelling "Go Sassy Brunette!"

No comments:

Post a Comment