4.10.2013

My First Time as a San Francisco Host


Last weekend, my dad flew out from New Jersey to check out my new life here in San Francisco.  Being that I've only lived here for 3 months, I was majorly concerned that my hosting duties would be subpar. Turns out my dad only wanted to do 2 things: hang with me, and fix up my fixer upper.  What a guy!



I wasn't going to let him get his way entirely, though.  I wanted to show off my fab new city!  The weeks before my dad's visit, Webb and I would exclaim "Oh let's do this with him!" whenever we did/ate/drank/saw anything cool.  

My dad's easy-to-please attitude and my eager-to-please excitement resulted in a great trip.  I love my dad, and it's so fun to spend quality time with him in my neck of the woods.

After the jump, check out a run down of what we did and some ideas for hosting in the City by the Bay.



Day #1: Long walks, Lucas Tour, Piers & Chocolate 

The trip started Friday morning with breakfast at my favorite spot, The Pork Store (love their Scralifornia!) and a walk to Alamo Square Park.  Ernie ran around the dog run and we snapped pics in front of the Painted Ladies aka Full House houses.  

Since Webb works at one of the coolest companies ever, Lucasfilm, my dad (and Star Wars fan) wanted to check out the offices.  Located in the beautiful Presidio, their offices are a living Lucas museum and we both totally geeked out.  

We trekked over two miles from Lucas to Fisherman's Wharf through the Marina and Fort Mason.  On the walk we had amazing Italian sandwiches and an oh-so-San-Fran view of the fog cloaked Golden Gate Bridge.

Next up, Fisherman's Wharf, Ghiradelli Square, and Pier 39.  Lots of tourists, but a fun walk through the busy and entertaining part of town.  We ate clam chowder, sampled chocolate, and barked along with the sea lions.

That night was a screening of GI Joe: Retaliation at Lucasfilm and then hitting a few bars back home on Haight Street.  We kept Dad out way past his bedtime, but I think he like drinking where Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin likely spent their evenings back during the summer of loooove. 

Day #2: Sausalito, Sonoma and Chef Webb

After a busy day of city trekking, I wanted to show Dad the gorgeous parts north of SF.  We started with bagels in Sausalito then tasted wine in Sonoma at two wineries.  It was a beautiful and relaxing day! 


That night, Webb showed off his culinary skills with his famous chicken gouda pasta dish with his secret ingredient - pineapples! Don't knock it til you try it.  

Day #3:  Happy Easter!

Our Easter started with church and a visit to the ocean.  So peaceful :)  We went to breakfast near my apartment, then later my dad, Webb and I headed down to Los Gatos for Easter dinner with Webb's family.  It was so nice of them to host us!  
We had quite a feast and a nice time together, then rolled our way up back to the city for the season premiere of Game of Thrones.  Like us, my dad is a big fan- he's even read all the books!  Nerd…

Day #4: Back to Work, Long Walks, and Cable Cars

On Monday, Webb and I had to head back to work.  My dad went to work, too- working on our apartment, that is.  Lucky me came home to new shelves, fixed doors, and other little odds & ends.  Ernie was a lucky one too: my dad took him out for a few hours to explore my neighborhood. Those two became fast friends! That night, we rode a cable car down into Chinatown and feasted on an array of yummy foods.

Day #5:  Visit to Pixar and Saying Goodbye :(

I was so excited to show dad Pixar.  Like with Lucasfilm, it's fun to take a tour off the beaten path and check out the behind the scenes of a cool company.  I remember when I visited Pixar as a visitor (before even a potential employee!) and thought it was just the best place to go to work.  And now I'm here! I think my dad was equally impressed.

We ate dinner at the local Pixar diner and then I sent him off of a big ol' jet plane :(


My Take-Away SF Hosting Tips:

-Don't be scared of the touristy areas.  They're touristy for a reason! Everyone wants their pictures of Fisherman's Wharf and a taste of clam chowder.
-Get out of the city.  There are so many gorgeous, warmer places outside the bay to visit after the city hubbub.
-Napa is overrated.  We had a great time in Sonoma: cheaper and closer.
-Use the cable car as transport.  We had to get that cable car ride in, but we also used it to get across the city, giving it more bang for it's buck!
-Remember to relax! My dad spent a ton of time exploring the parks with Ernie, which are some of the best parts of the city.
-Visit people who work at some of SF's great companies. 
-Be spontaneous, and don't be afraid to get a little lost!






2 comments:

  1. Great post, Deeds! Having your dad visit was so much fun. It was a perfectly planned trip and you were a great hostess. I'm sure he would agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was realy great! I loved reading your blog Dee and I am not a nerd!!! lol cant wait to come back! Say hello to Webb and Ernie!! Every day was fantastic! I love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete